Saturday, March 15, 2008

My Ancestors

I have been inspired lately to search for my ancestors. My Great Great Grandfather, was a senator from Colorado. I had heard this as a child, and recently I thought that there should be some information on him online. It turns out that he was in the senate for 40 years. That's some kind of record! He helped write laws when Colorado was a new state and is responsible for Columbus Day. That information alone gave me pause. My daughter was born on Columbus Day. God has some sense of humor, eh?

This is my Great Grandmother, his daughter and myself at 1 year old.



The journaling reads:

Great Grandma & Me

Her name is Sofía Chacón.
She is the daughter of
Senator Casimiro Barela of Colorado
and his wife Josefita Ortiz.
Her husband is Eusebio Chacón,
the son of Rafael Chacón
who fought in the
Civil War on the
side of the Union.
She is the mother of
Carmen, my grandmother,
Ernestina, Enriqueta,
María and Casimiro.
Her sisters are
Juanita and Leonor.

She’s gone now, but I got to know her
for the first 5 years of my life.
We played in Grandma’s backyard,
sang songs and talked.
I threw Bougainvillea flowers at her
and she threw them back at me.
She had a little blue parakeet named Pajadito.
I think she tried to teach me to crochet.
She must have been very patient with me.

Background papers and embellishments from VINTAGE FLORALS by Shabby Princess (c) 2006 Shabby Princess Designs of www.shabbyprincess.com princess@shabbyprincess.com

No comments: